4.17.2009

060: Belgium (and France) — Part Two: Paris Roubaix




This is the third spot that we set up our cameras. Sorry for the jerking around at the beginning of the clip. See the dirt rut at the side of the road? I don't know why I did not think that the riders would be utilizing that path. Only two days earlier, I was utilizing that path. Now, I was trying to stay out of the way of the riders.


I like the sound that the cars make over the cobbles. It doesn't come through entirely on the video, but they rumbled the hell out of that place. Well, I guess they didn't rumble the hell out of it, because it still looks like hell to me. I like this photo below because the Rabobank rider looks so off kilter and about to tumble over. He didn't.

Nothing to exciting happened over this section. Nothing exciting besides a bunch of badass PROfessional cyclists ripping over cobbles that is. However, the huge 15 person motorcycle crash was right at the end of this section of cobbles. It was a pretty gruesome scene, blood everywhere and people running around like madmen. The scariest part about it, and I have no idea how they got it all cleared out of the way in time, was that the rest of the field was bearing down on us as we slowed for the crash. I looked out the back window at one point and could see the roiling crowd of dust that was the peleton rounding the curve behind us.

Also included a little snippet of whats to come as far as actually driving on the cobbles. From here on out the crowd 'participation' stared to get a little hairy. As you can see in the video, they were lined up and ready to go...