5.25.2009

077: Endless Summer — Rapha Continental

I put up the video of the banjo playing taxidermist a few posts ago. Well, after Dave Christensen had his little accidenté on the bicycle he and Adam threw together a cut waaay better than Steve's little flip video piece.

Mathias, WV from RAPHA on Vimeo.


We had a great day heading out of Mathias and the Lost River Barn. Jay was a more than exceptional guide. Apparently, and I got this information second hand, he's also a Bicycle Courier in Washington D.C. That must be why when he puts a little pressure on the pedals. The bike goes.

This man rode us up and down through the hills of West Virginia

I know I keep talking about the Road Journal part of the Rapha Continental, but keep checking it out. New Stuff is going up on an ALMOST daily basis.


Still one week to go for myself. I couldn't resist the temptation to take my Richard Sachs road bike and head into my homeland. Admittedly, though, I haven't ridden much of the roads in the Wisconsin/Minnesota area. Mountain biking, sure I've got the WORS races covered, but the gently sweeping roadways of Wisconsin. Haven't done it.


Aaron, Piers, and Tony P. as well as the Director Sportif of HUP United, a one Mr. Dave Roth are joining DWP and I for this leg of the adventure.

Now, when I say "adventure" I mean it. I was speaking to a friend on the phone the other night. She had spoken to our compatriot Peter Rubijono recently and he had regaled her with some of his tales of the road. Her reply to that was something to the effect of "it sounds like now, more than last year, you guys are out there really having adventures." I couldn't agree with you more.

Adventure is the name of the game here.

Whether it be breaking in to the hotel pool to swim at 3am, trying to dump DWP and Dave off the back of the van at 50 mph, or even sampling some of the finer foods of the South (I can't remember what we decided that pile of deepfried matter actually was). In any case, we have been having ourselves some adventures.

In fact, since the last post we have:

a) ridden in both Virginia, and Washington D.C. once on a four lane highway.
b) embrocated so furiously as to cause extreme tan-lines
c) literally jumped a huge black snake on my bicycle
d) Put on a Gentleman's Race
and finally...
e) drove to New York City to start the next leg of the trip. I'm tired. Very, very tired.

But even though the pushups have come to a halt, the daily intake of ham hasn't.
Bing!