9.03.2009

114: JRA


Arkansas by John Brandon is a book about a "bunch of rootless drifters who form an unstable drug-distribution network..." Hmm, do they race bikes as well? Sounds familiar. Nah, I'm just kidding. I did however sit down and start reading it the other night. Ten pages in and I hit the snooze bar pretty hard.

Now, I love to read but I feel like my attention span + working on shit + riding early in the mornings has taken my read space down to zero. Ah well, the good news is that I've been reading a ton of magazines lately.

Take Bicycling for example. I read that. And can I just say that the current issue of Bicycling Magazine has some pretty good (and Bad) stuff in it? I'll list them here and then you can decide if you want to run your Petite Feet over to the newsstand to pick up a copy.



Things about Bicycling this month:

1) its feature cover story is helping me get lean (AND strong!)

2) a bitchin Cervelo ad with Thor on the first page (a weird/lame Pearl Izumi ad on the second page)

3) Sylvan Chavanel's "Favorite Things" like a Genuine Six Day Derny and (My Boogie Buddy whatever the hell that is?)

4) A Teddy Pendergrass Reference.


Bill Strickland's article "Bullfight" is probably the most entertaining article within the publication. Strickland has been following Armstrong around for god knows how long (since he's returned to the sport) and my guess is that generally the focus is on him (Armstrong) so the fact that he's chosen to focus more on Contador is a great decision. Why? Well, for one because I'm sick of hearing about Armstrong. And b) because (and this is why Strickland is great) because there is more humanity AND humility in Contador than there ever will be in Robocop,

And that's what I want to see. I want to see people! Not robots, unless they're robots hands.

Then I'm all in.

Also in the issue is a great photo spread by Rouleur Photographer Camille McMillan. And if you really want to know some more about that. You should check it out on the Rapha blog. Which I have been contributing to lately. While you're there you should check out the Design posts by Joe Hall, he's a fantastic writer and has a keen eye for design as well.


Can I just say that I can't wait to get my grubby little mits on the Rouleur #13 Box set? Of course I have every copy, that's not the issue here. The issue is that they have issued a new box for it. I'm in. Is that strange? That I want to get it just because it exhists AND is limited? . Don't worry, I'm not going to get it, I just want it. Especially because they only made thirteen of them.

I think I might have a problem

What I don't have a problem with by the way. And the REAL reason why I'm Stoked on the new Bicycling Magazine is this.

BAM!

And I'll say it again..Bam! Way to go Peter Smith. Do yourself a favor and get some Mad Alchemy for your bum. It helps remove the stutter out of your remount (you can use that one Pete).

Also, have you been wondering where the new Embrocation Cycling Journal is? Why it hasn't shipped yet? Well, to tell the truth, I've been wondering the same thing....what's going on here?